Now that I have my own platform to capture my ramblings, I can force myself to pen down what I would like to focus on for the new year and make it public so I can be pressured to meet my goals. 😜
In all seriousness though, at the beginning of the year, I like to spend a little time working out focus areas so that my foggy mind can be brought back to clarity whenever it needs.
I have a tendency to get distracted by opportunities to explore new skills and learnings which is good and bad.
After all, if I had insisted on sticking to my focus areas for 2020, I would never have ended up writing and singing and releasing songs with my hubby for our music collective, Buddha in the Balcony.
But of course, I think there are many things I started in 2020 that I want to hone my skills at, so I really do see 2021 as a continuation of what I started in 2020 as opposed to great, new beginnings.
Ok here goes!
I want to continue improving my mental and emotional health.
- I still have knee-jerk reactions to certain people and situations… need to breathe before responding!
- Old resentments still plague me, would really like to let go. Not for the benefit of others but for my own emotional balance.
- Speaking of balance, I worked quite a bit to focus on self-care last year, now I need to strike that balance between being there for someone in particular and prioritising my own needs.
Water the seeds planted in my mental health advocacy work.
- I plan to build on the seeds I had planted with various organisations and hope to work with them in my advocacy efforts. Specifically, I want to raise awareness of the “invisible” well child, how mental illness in a family has far-reaching impact on everyone, not just the sufferer.
- Last July, I wrote two songs about mental health, but I have not released them yet, because 1) I wanted to improve my singing so I had classes last year and 2) I want to time the release with the upcoming World Schizophrenia Day in May.
Get down to business.
In 2020, I placed a lot more focus on mental health stuff, and anyway business was slowing down due to Covid-19, but now people have had a year to deal with it, make the necessary adjustments, I am hoping that I can kickstart business development efforts and get new projects.
Mais oui, je parle couramment français!
I still want to work at upping my proficiency level. Managed to spend a little time here and there last year, but the singing got in my way, so I’m thinking, I will just make it a daily habit to watch French content on YouTube and Netflix this year (so I can swear in French with more flair).
No guarantees, maybe this year?
I keep saying I will write the play that, in 2016, Adrian Pang, the co-artistic director of one of Singapore’s top theatre companies Pangdemonium, had seeded the idea in my head, but I just have not been able to do this. I don’t know if 2021 will be the year that I will make some headway, but, well, in the spirit of balance and taking it easy, I will just see how it goes.
Next year in 2022, I will come back to this post and see just how far I have gotten. My attitude is I will do what I can, I will try, and if it happens it does, if it doesn’t, it doesn’t.